Safeguarding & Complaints


We have a duty of care to safeguard all individuals (adults and children) who come through our service and comply with all legislative requirements.  We will work alongside you and any other services) involved in supporting you to ensure the most appropriate and safest outcome.

At your assessment, we will work closely with you to assess any impact that your substance use may have on your ability to parent, and we will support you to reduce any potential risks identified to keep you and your family safe from harm.

Our assessments are strengths based and we will look to see what protective factors are already in place and how we could help you to increase these if needed.  We want to work with you to keep your family safe and support your Recovery Goals.

Useful numbers

  • If someone is in immediate danger, call 999.
  • For non-immediate assistance, call 101.
  • Children’s Referral & Assessment Team 0191 424 5010
  • Adult Let’s Talk Team 0191 424 6000

Making a Complaint:

Humankind’s definition of a complaint is ‘An expression of dissatisfaction or concern about the standard of service provided by Humankind.
If you would like to make a complaint or concern about our service, please call 0191 917 1160, visit our website or speak to your worker. You will be treated with dignity and respect.

Making a Compliment:

This allows you to let us know when you are pleased with our service. If you would like to compliment an individual member of staff or the South Tyneside Adult
Recovery Services service, please let us know. This will enable us to identify when you think we have done something well and delivered an excellent service to the standards you expect from us.

Making a Comment:

We also welcome comments and suggestions about how we can improve our service.
We review all our comments regularly and make changes based on any suggestions or comments that we receive.
If you are unhappy with the response, we provide you may take your complaint to the Care Quality Commission. Details of how they can be contacted are available from your Recovery Coordinator.